Last August, a Texas man swimming in a Houston-area hotel pool noticed a child in distress in the deep end. He swam to the child and helped him safely out ot the water but could not get out of the pool on his own. When rescuers pulled him out, he went into cardiac arrest and died six days later, a victim of electrocution. The City of Houston and the Texas Department of Licensing and Regulation determined that shoddy electrical work performed by licensed electricians resulted in the pool being electrically unsafe.
That was not an isolated incident, says Jeff Sargent in his column “Pool Rules” in the latest issue of NFPA Journal. However, it might have been prevented if the electricians had complied with the requirements of Article 680 in the National Electrical Code® (NEC®).
______________________________________________________________________________________ Receive the print edition of NFPA Journal and browse online member-only archives as part of your NFPA membership. Learn more about the many benefits and join today.
Posted by Kathie Robinson on 07/22/2014 at 11:49 AM in Codes and standards, Electrical, NFPA 70, NFPA Journal®, Safety | PermalinkTechnorati Tags: electrical safety for swimming pools, National Electrical Code, NEC, NFPA, NFPA 70, NFPA Journal, preventing electrocution in swimming pools